DevOps & Performance Engineer
Product and Tech • Flexible remote • Old Street
We are looking for a DevOps and performance engineer to join our DevOps team.
YuLife is creating a new kind of insurance company. Our mission is to inspire people to live longer, happier and healthier lives. We provide life insurance to companies and drive employee wellbeing through meaningful, engaging and rewarding experiences inspired by our favourite games, apps and products.
We live by a simple principle and we strive to translate this to our designs: always seek the win-win in everything we do. This means we should always be giving more than we take with every interaction. Sounds good?
The 2022 mission is to reach 1 million lives!
The journey so far:
What's happened over the last few years:
The 2021 mission is to reach 1 million lives!
We are looking for a DevOps and performance engineer to join our DevOps team. The team supports our engineering squads throughout the DevOps cycle to deliver high quality software. This enables us to realise our mission to empower our customers to become the best version of themselves.
You will support our developers by monitoring the performance of the builds and make recommendations to improve pipeline performance and availability. Additionally, you’ll build automations that ensure that developers produce high quality and performant code. You will work closely with the squads ensuring that the infrastructure supports existing and upcoming requirements.
You will also be involved in determining issues as they are about to or have occurred, assisting development teams with investigating and solving issues that arise. Furthermore you’ll be confident in solving problems in a way that ensures our commitment to responsive and available applications.
You should be a highly driven and self-motivated individual who is organised and can communicate effectively with the rest of your team.
Over the next 12 months you'll be instrumental in:
- Expanding our platform to allow us to support a 10x growth in user base ensuring a great user experience while doing so
- Ensuring the engineering squads deliver high performance and quality software efficiently
- The expansion of our existing infrastructure to support new application requirements and improve global performance
- React Native and ReactJS (TypeScript)
- NodeJS (Typescript)
- MongoDB and Postgres
You'll have specific responsibility for:
- Supporting our development squads with their infrastructure requirements in addition to maintaining and updating existing infrastructure
- Build and configure ways to automate and improve the development and release processes
- Ensure that application code and the platform it runs on are free of bugs and performance issues
- Contributing to hardening the application code and platform against cybersecurity threats
Where you will sit in the org:
You'll report to Daniel Sutton, the Lead DevOps and Performance Engineer
- Designing systems placed under high through-put and load
- Ability to isolate and resolve bottlenecks and poor performance code
- Building and setting up new development tools and infrastructure
- Writing infrastructure as code using Terraform, CloudFormation, Pulumi or similar. Ideally utilising a GitOps approach
- Developing CI/CD pipelines using GitLab, GitHub, Jenkins or similar
- Strong AWS experience, in particular with IAM, EC2, SQS, SES, S3 and Cloudfront
- Building and deploying Docker containers and their orchestration using Kubernetes
- Working in a Linux environment with scripting in Bash
- Managing bugs and performance issues with the applications
- Administering and operating infrastructure with a high number of active users
- Writing documentation for technical and non-technical audiences
+ the nice-to-haves:
- Building high performance NodeJS services
- Developing React Native applications for iOS and Android
- Familiarity with security concepts, including secure design and implementation
- Mentoring junior engineers and nurturing their passion for engineering
- Implementing tools for logging, monitoring and alerting. E.g. Prometheus/Loki, ELK Stack, CloudWatch
- Performing database migrations in production environments for both SQL and NoSQL databases
- Experience developing software using GitLab
- Developing infrastructure using Terraform
- Building and configuring automated security scanning tools
- Has worked in a remote globally distributed team
- Have worked in a startup and/or InsureTech environment
What you’ll get:
We like to give more than we take so here are some of our benefits:
- A competitive base salary
- Potential to earn share options
- 6x salary life assurance policy
- Income protection policy
- Access to the YuLife app (which includes a tonne of well-being rewards, discounts and exclusive offers as well as access to Calm and Fiit)
- Monthly wellbeing budget to “Be your Best Yu”
- Contributions to working from home office equipment
- Contributory pension - 3% of basic
- 24 days of annual leave + 1 day to celebrate your birthday
- Flexible and remote working arrangements (read more below)
- A shiny MacBook Pro or whatever you need to do your best work
- Cycle to work scheme
- HIIT and Yoga sessions
- Access to Learnerbly with a dedicated budget towards L&D through webinars, books, podcasts, journals and much more
- More Happi - 2 professional coaching sessions every month
Find out more about our Hybrid Working policy.
YuLife company culture:
We're more than just life insurance!
Share this page